Thursday, June 3, 2010

Commis *

Yesterday I tried my back door scheme and it worked.  But unfortunately the Chef there said his kitchen was so small that having any extra people just gets in the way.  It's not an excuse, he said he tried to have an intern work there before and it didn't work out.

Perhaps it was just because it was just an intern, they never know what they are doing and always just get in the way regardless of kitchen size.  But here the kitchen is particularly small.   I left with a NO on this one, and I really didn't know what to do about it.  His reason was honest and seemingly legit.  I was really depressed about it all night.

But driving into work it occurred to me what I needed to do.  I have drafted an open letter to Chef James, here is the letter I will drop off on Friday when I swing back there.


Dear Chef,

Thanks you for taking a few minutes out of your busy day Wednesday to speak to me about my Three Star Chef Project.  

I appreciate your time and your reasons for not being able to assist me in this project.   However; this letter is to server as a formal request should you ever change your mind, or find yourself in need.

Offer:
At some point in time one of your cooks will come to you and need a day off for something, wedding, funeral, whatever.   When you are given at least a weeks notice from your staff member call me first. I will come and wash dishes and act as a bus boy every day for that week prior.  My time will be free to you as I work as the busser/dishwasher.  I will use that time to observe and become familiar with the menu, timing, flow and pace of your diner service.  If after my time as the dish washer/bus boy you believe I am not qualified, discharge me and I will bother you no further.  If after that time, I have demonstrated my abilities, you will let me fill in for the missing cook, again at no cost to you.



My Best

Charels A. Lindner


If I truly want to be the best, I can not let anyone tell me No.   I must find a reason for them to say "yes".  All obstacles are of my own creation and  I will break them down one by one.

No comments: