Monday, May 31, 2010

Holiday Weekend

I have made a conscience decision not to pester anyone over the holiday weekend.   We stopped by a bunch of places, and just left cards without asking to speak to anyone. They were all so busy that it would have only pissed the chef off.  

Our family decided not to travel this holiday and just stay close to home so we went to the beach but we also had lunch and dinner at a couple of pretty good restaurants.

Bistro Ralph - In Healdsburg CA is a very nice location.  It is in the Michelin guide but without any star rating.   They gave it two forks (which means pretty good).  I had thought about writing a review of this location, but reviewing a place I have not worked, I decided is against the core value of this project.  I would accept an invitation from the chef for this location if one were offered, but since they are not on the list I will not be actively pursuing it.

The Left Bank - In Larkspur CA.  This a good French brasserie, but not as good (I thought) as Absinthe in San Francisco, anther brasserie. Both places are in the Michelin Guide and deserving of such recognition but again nether have reached star status.  I think, and this is one the aspects of the ratings I want to find out about, is that their menus are too common. I've seen every dish on the menu at other restaurants even though the meals I've eaten are prepared better at these places.

I was also considering eating at the places on my list before I actually work there, but have decided against that as well.  I feel it will prejudice my experience prior to the working there.  I do think I should dine there after the work is through to see how everything I've learned is brought together in the end.

I'll be back to my stubborn, unflinching attempts to gain access to the best kitchens the bay area has to offer on Tuesday.

No comments: