Thursday, June 10, 2010

The village Pub *

I met with the chefs at the village pub yesterday and it was pretty positive  I think they will let me come in, though they had some concerns I had not even considered would be a concern.

The chef mentioned something about YELP food reviews, and how they were written by people who barely know how to eat much less write and review restaurants; in other words, anyone with a computer and web access. (These are my words not his, he was nice about it).  So I looked up the reviews to see what was going on.

There is currently only one bad review of the village pub,  actually it is a review by a person that never actually mentions the food in any of their restaurant reviews. Odd!   Check it out it's by Aim M.  as far as I can tell the only food this person ever ate at any of the places they reviewed was a burger at some bar.   I bet they're really skinny.   Aim should stay away from fine dinning  where it is all about the food, they will be much happier.   Aim lists their last food on earth as Thai Food. Never realizing that Thai as a cuisine is pretty varied.  Or maybe Aim wants one of every dish in the complete Thai lexicon, finally able to fatten their self up after a life time of worry about how big their thighs are and unable to ever really enjoy a great meal with out visiting the vomitorium later.

Aim, maybe the reason they gave a table to everyone but you was they could tell you really didn't care and they didn't want your drunk college style birthday party to interfere with everyone else who was having to great meal. 

I can see why chefs are gun shy about letting me come in.  Everyone seams to have an agenda, and actually coming into the kitchen is without a doubt an invasion and an intimate encounter a lot of people would not want revealed.  I was talking about this to a friend and she said, "if all the reviews in the world were good how would you know the truth".  I have been thinking about that all day.  Knowing if someone else liked it or not isn't enough and it's too much at the same time.  Take Aim, what is this person saying, nothing.  Just it took them longer than they wanted to get seated.  but what was the context.  Did Aim make the reservation weeks before hand, did they just walk in, was it peak time on Saturday night, did they have 80 people or two.  I have nothing to go on to judge weather their concerns are valid.  I would love to be able to review the reviews on yelp and ask these questions, though I suspect I would not receive any honest answers. In fact Aim's final comment makes my point that it's not about the food for Aim, "If you are looking for a "grey hair" place, with food and decor right out of the 70s, this place is for you. But if you are looking for a modern, chic place, stay away".   Aim is style over substance, the food really didn't matter, it is a place everyone goes, so they went, never realizing people are going for the food.

I can tell you there is nothing about this food that is retro, and that is all I can say at the moment.  I promised not to post anything directly about the restaurant without their consent, and though I have flirted with that line here I'm not going to Cross it.  Ultimately this blog is about me and not the places I work.  It is the chronicling of my journey

No comments: